Monday, December 03, 2012

A Week of Chemo at Karmanos


Research 2946, originally uploaded by Buck Cash.

Well, it's December 3rd, 2012 and I'm sitting in a hospital bed at Karmanos Cancer treatment center in Detroit, and all's well. I've been here for nearly a week, since being admitted last Tuesday. During that time, I've had some kind of chemo every day, and sometimes a couple of them per day, all in preparation for my stem cell transplant. I finished the last one this morning.

After getting the last of the chemo, I was freed from the IV for awhile, so I took a shower and went for a walk around the 8th floor. I did a half a mile, and settled back in to relax again.

Most of the past week, I've been sleeping, probably because of the Benedryl that I get with the chemo - it keeps me pretty sleepy, so I just go with it. Food smells and tastes not so good while on the chemo, so I've lost a bit of weight over the past week as well, about 10 pounds or so, but that's okay too. All in all, I feel just fine.

For the rest of today and tomorrow, I get a break from everything, and then on Wednesday, it's the big day: Stem Cell Transplant Day!!! I think it's basically just another IV drip, but this time it'll be my stem cells, rather than chemo, saline or blood. I doubt it'll actually be more exciting than that, other than the knowledge that once that's done, it's all about recovery and getting on with my life again, which I'm very much looking forward to!!

The photo for this blog entry is of my microscope. I just thought it'd make a cool photo. I shot it a couple weeks ago while in between hospital and doctor visits.

That's about it for now. I'll update again sometime after the stem cell transplant.

2 Comments:

At December 03, 2012 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping and praying for your complete recovery and remission. I'm finishing up 3 years of chemo and radiation for a primary pancreatic lymphoma. So far so good! Your friend Carl

 
At January 18, 2013 1:59 PM, Blogger Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home