Monday, November 26, 2012

What's your favorite dressing?



Buck Dressing Change, originally uploaded by Buck Cash.
I like Bleu Cheese. Second choice is Italian, then Ranch. But today's dressing of the day is the one that keeps the site clean and covered on my tri-catheter entrance into my chest. :)

Saw the doctor today and all went well. He gave me an exam and had a look at my last PET Scan and declared that it was "negative - you're in remission", which was really good news!

Then Anita (my patient advocate at Karmanos) changed my dressing, which is what the photo is of. My mom took the photo with my smart phone.

Tomorrow, I'll be admitted into the hospital at Karmanos at about 1:PM to begin my 3 weeks of intense chemo and stem cell transplant. After that, a week at Aunt Aggie's (where I'm staying while in the Detroit area), then another doctor visit, and hopefully then just follow up visits back home in the Petoskey area.

At the end of that whole process, I'm looking forward to a good, long remission - 20 or 30 years would be good! ;)


Also worth mentioning, the recent bout of night sweats only lasted a couple nights.  Now I have a theory about night sweats, and it goes like this:

When my cancer is getting out of control, my white cells go into overdrive trying to fight it, and I get night sweats.  When people get sick with a cold or the flu, they end up in bed and their white cells go into overdrive trying to fight it, and they sweat.  When I was getting the Mozobil injections specifically to bring my white cell count up, I felt fine, but still had night sweats.

Could it be as simple as saying that night sweats are caused by / evidence of high white cell counts?  I think maybe the answer is yes.  And since I've asked every doctor along the way what causes the night sweats, and none knew, I feel like I may have made some kind of simple discovery here.

Anyway, there ya go...  I like to solve puzzles.  :-)


I'll update again when I'm settled into the hospital and have more to chat about here.

3 Comments:

At November 26, 2012 9:52 PM, Anonymous Aunt Kathy said...

Glad things are going good for you, Bucky. Diet Cucumber Ranch or Zesty Italian.

 
At November 30, 2012 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your story when looking for cancer info for my best friend who was just diagnosed with aggresive breast cancer.

I had to go back and read it from the beginning. I admire your strength, and love your sense of humor.

Wishing you all the best.

 
At January 06, 2013 1:30 PM, Anonymous Deb Burns said...

Buck,
The picture scared the be-jesus outta' me.
But, OTOH (<-On The Other Hand)I prefer "Marzetti Ranch", & I'm agreeing with your theory on the night sweats. Makes great sense to me!!
Spectacular news to hear your in remission. It's certainly a GREAT WAY to start out the new year.
Happy New Year to you & your family.
*Always thinking about you*
Deb
PS. Proving I'm not a robot (to leave my post) & trying to read and make out these 2 words is ALWAYS a chore for me. Even with reading glasses!! Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home