Sunday, October 24, 2004

Bay Bridge Photo Shoot

First things first: I got a new camera! Woo hoo! It's the Canon 20D, and this thing is simply amazing! It's a true SLR digital, 8 megapixel shooter. Here's a picture of it:




Quite simply, this is the camera I've always wanted, even before it was invented! Rather than try to tell you all about it (which is WAY too much!), you can click THIS LINK to an in-depth review of it, if you're interested.


Okay, that out of the way, I'm really excited about my first shoot with it. There's a shot I've been wanting to get for a few months, but got put off by one thing or another each time. It's a shot of the San Francisco Bay Bridge at dusk, from Treasure Island facing West (into the sunset).


Now, the easy place to get a shot of this bridge is from a parking area at the bottom of the hill. I've already done that with my Sony F717, and you can see the shot HERE. But I wanted something a little more dynamic and dramatic - from the top of the hill.


The only problem with that is, there's no place to park up there. It's two lanes, with a cliff wall on one side, a cliff drop on the other, and not even a shoulder to pull over onto - at all. I was going to have to work for it...


I parked down the hill in the parking lot, strapped on my backpack full of gear, and set off on a hike up the mountain. Half an hour later, and I was setting up my tripod at the only place I could get a view through the trees without going off the cliff. I spent a couple hours there, shooting from about an hour before sundown to about an hour after, then packed it up and headed back down. It's hard to tell from the small viewfinder on a digital camera if you got exactly what you wanted, especially when it comes to sharpness, but I had some good feelings about the shoot.


While I was up there, another fellow walked up with a camera and tried to take a shot or two, then lamented that he had no tripod, and knew it wasn't going to work out for him. Well, I always carry a couple of mini-pods, so I loaned him one to get his shot, and he was very thankful. I was glad to help. I hope it turned out well for him.


When I got home and dumped the photos onto my computer, I was very happy! Of the 225 photos I shot there (MAN, I love digital!), I chose this as THE shot of the session:


If you'd like to see the rest of my photos, you can head on over to my photo album. I recently went through it and gave it a whole new look and new functionality. If you've been there before, you may have to refresh your browser to see the new look, and the new photos since the last time you were there. An easy way to do that is to simply press F5 on your keyboard when you get there.



Well, that's about it for now. I'm still feeling great here, and doing fine. Hope you are too! See you next time!

5 Comments:

At October 28, 2004 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Buck,
I have been visiting your website since you started it but never wrote. Glad you are feeling fine. I just ordered a Canon 20d myself, what lenses did you buy with yours and what would you recomend? Man that good glass is expensive…
Ted

 
At October 28, 2004 5:51 PM, Blogger Buckster said...

I went with the 20D 'kit' that includes the 18mm-55mm EF-S, and then also got a 28mm-135mm IS and a 100mm-400mm L IS. I'd really like to add the 10mm-22mm EF-S and the 1.4x & 2x telextenders as soon as I can. It's true that the glass is expensive, but it's good glass, and I'll be able to use it with future bodies, so it's an investment that will last beyond this camera.

 
At November 06, 2004 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Buck,
Once again, another beautiful photo!
I'm just curious - have you ever thought of selling your photos to Image Bank, or other photo banks that serve the graphic design/advertising field? They are certainly as good as anything I've ever come across in the catalogues.
Ms. M.

 
At November 06, 2004 8:55 AM, Blogger Buckster said...

Hi there Ms.M,

Thanks for the kind words! I've just begun to look at resources like that for selling my photos, and hope to put something together soon. :>)

 
At November 24, 2004 8:45 PM, Blogger kranki said...

I'm don't have as much life experience as you do, but I do want to say that as a former TV writer turned teacher creating the art is a lot more fun without the pressure of needing it to make an income. I wish I could say that the art should be reward enough in itself, but I still write and kick the dust that I can use what I consider to be my best skills as a means to make a living. However having become a teacher has given my life stability and plenty of time with which to pursue my craft. I wonder if there is any artist starving or wealthy who is truly content. I've worked with people who do what they love to do and make millions of dollars doing it, but nearly all of them are unhappy people who always find something to gripe about. It's not about more, it's about enjoying the now as much as possible and I'm sure you more than most people know the value of time. I don't know you but I like your attitude and outlook and I'm happy that you got a good bill of health.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home